As our members know, Ottawa-Gatineau Branch of Editors Canada is hosting the 2017 conference. Plans for the conference are being drawn up right now, and it promises to be an exciting event. Such a large-scale affair depends heavily on the efforts of dedicated volunteers for its success, and we are looking for help. Specific positions and their responsibilities are given below:
All volunteers will participate in weekly teleconferences with conference committee and national office staff; meetings take about an hour.
- Recruit and coordinate conference volunteers, including on-site volunteers at the conference (e.g., to set-up/tear-down registration area, staff registration desk, run errands, etc.).
- Compile contact lists of volunteers; we need this info for thanking and recognizing them, such as the annual report, website (with links to their websites and/or ODE listings), list on program, etc.
- Prepare schedules for on-site volunteers and coordinate their requirements.
- Ongoing communication with volunteers via email and phone.
- On-site training or instruction for volunteers at the conference.
- Research and compile contact information for potential speakers for discussion and selection.
- Coordinate outside speakers.
- Approach selected speakers as directed by conference co-chairs.
- When speakers accept, follow up with standard info request (e.g., bio, photo, technical requirements, handouts, presenter agreement); if speakers decline, thank them.
- Coordinate Editors Canada member speakers.
- Prepare call for conference proposals (modified from previous conferences).
- Organize and compile proposals into spreadsheet to facilitate evaluating, selecting and tracking speakers (conference committee and advisory committee selects speakers).
- Inform speakers if they’ve been selected or not selected.
- Handle all communication with speakers: changes to session, follow up for missing elements, requirements for materials or equipment.
- Edit session information provided by speakers as needed: summaries, titles and bios; this information will be used on website, printed program, promotion, etc.
- Assign sessions to rooms in time for final program design.
Social Media Coordinator
- Initiate and coordinate conference communication and promotion on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr (on Editors Canada’s account), Pinterest, Instagram, blogs, podcasts, YouTube, etc.
We will also be looking to fill the following positions: Billeting Coordinator, Conference Buddies Coordinator, Local Experience Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Session Host Coordinator, Speed Mentoring Coordinator, Speed Networking Coordinator, and Vendor Fair Coordinator.
If you are interested, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to hear from you soon!