Wednesday September 21 sees the new season of Ottawa-Gatineau Editors Canada monthly meetings after the summer hiatus. These are your opportunities to socialize, network, hear from invited speakers, and contribute to your local association.
For our first meeting we are holding a speed networking event. These are commonly-used formats for people to meet each other in a friendly group environment that allows everyone to contribute and benefit from each other’s experience.
Elizabeth Macfie, who hosted a very popular speed-networking event at last year’s conference, will introduce the session and explain the format. In short summary, participants meet one-on-one at a table and spend just a few minutes introducing themselves and highlighting aspects of their professional lives, before moving on at the sound of a given signal to meet someone else.
It may be helpful to think in advance what information you would like to share in the two or three minutes you have with those you meet. For example,
- Your name;
- How long a member of Editors Canada and the local branch;
- Any past, present or future roles within the association;
- Any previous career or job experience;
- Do you work in-house, freelance, or some other related career;
- Do you have a preferred genre (fiction, scientific, legal, etc);
- What’s the biggest challenge for you in editing (or aspect of your job);
- What’s the favourite part of editing (or aspect of your job);
- What would you like to get out of the branch meetings;
- What questions you want to ask of your colleague;
- Share an interest outside of your professional life;
These are only suggestions of course, but if you have business cards don’t forget to bring them, or other contact details you want to share.
The evening begins at 6.30 with coffee and cookies, and the speed networking begins at 6.45 for approximately 1 hour.
When: Wednesday, September 21, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Good Companions Seniors’ Centre, 670 Albert Street (at Empress)
Free for members, $10 for non-members
Parking: Just behind the building, off Empress Avenue.
Hope to see you there!