Editors shared their favourite references, both paper and online, at March’s meeting of EAC NCR.
Afterwards, Dennis York passed along this list of some of his faves. These are not in alphabetical order, and in no particular citation style!
- The Copyeditor’s Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, by Amy Einsohn, University of California Press.
- Guidelines for Report Writing, by Ron Blicq and Lisa Moretto, Prentice Hall Canada.
- The Little, Brown Handbook (Canadian Edition), by H. Ramsay Fowler, Jane E. Aaron and Murray McArthur Addison Wesley Longman.
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King, Scribner.
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, American Psychological Association.
- The Canadian Oxford Dictionary, Oxford University Press.
- Editing Canadian English, Macfarlane Walter & Ross.
- The Chicago Manual of Style, University of Chicago Press.
- The New York Public Library Guide to Style and Usage, HarperCollins.
- The Canadian Style: A Guide to Writing and Editing, by the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada, Dundurn Press Limited. Also online at the federal Translation Bureau’s site:
On his own site, Dennis lists some more online resources: http://www.simplywrite.ca/links.htm
Stay tuned for more on social media from NCR’s April meeting, and other news.
—Tom Vradenburg, NCR Chair