By Jennifer Czerneda
Wendy Cherwinski’s presentation on “How to Edit a Speech” on October 17th at the NCR Branch Speaker Night was excellently delivered and full of great advice for editing speeches.
The presentation covered five topics:
1. AUDIENCE: key tips on how to keep an audience engaged
2. STRUCTURE: how to develop a flow that will keep the speaker and audience on track
3. LANGUAGE: some “do’s and don’ts” for speech editing
4. SET-UP: key ways a speech writer or editor can set a speaker up for success
5. TOOLS: if you’re looking for additional information, Wendy has an e-newsletter (“Pen and Podium”) and a video tutorial (“Write the Way People Talk”). Please visit www.echeloncomm.ca/ for details.
During her final comments, Wendy reminded us that there is no such thing as a speech that isn’t long enough. And while I know that is sound advice, I couldn’t help wishing that she would keep going!